Monday, July 15, 2013

Modesty: My "Why"

Lately I've seen a lot of posts on the internet regarding modesty and the purposes behind it.  I've also seen a lot of people getting upset over those pro-modesty and anti-bikini posts.  I just wanted to get in on the action and explain why I choose to dress modestly and believe it is an important choice.

(Warning:  If you have read my posts before you know I'm pretty long-winded.  This post is no exception since I want to talk about multiple reasons why I like to dress modestly, instead of just choosing one.  Get comfy.)

It helps guys be just a little less tempted, and helps them see me as a person that deserves respect. 
I know a lot of you don't like this reasoning, because you feel like it says our bodies are bad and a temptation for others and that they compare our bodies to objects.  That's not what I took at all from these posts.  I think they were saying that our bodies should not be compared to objects, but when we dress a certain way that is how men see us.  To me these arguments are telling us to be careful and make sure we send the signal representing the truth - that we are not objects but women who deserve respect and bodies that should be respected as well. 

I have also seen people say that these arguments are blaming women for the thoughts and actions of men.  I don't think they excused the men at all, I think they are just asking that we help make things a little easier on the guys.  I don't know why some girls openly oppose helping guys avoid temptation.  

No, it's not our fault if they feel tempted or choose to act on those temptations.... but what's so wrong with making it easier for them?

Here are two of my favorite internet posts that explain this opinion a little more thoroughly: 



It's a sacrifice.
I'll admit, I don't always want to dress modestly... in fact, it's rare that I do want to.  It's hot, I don't like a lot of layers, the immodest clothes are usually cuter and cheaper, and sometimes clothes that aren't "modest" still look super classy  (ummm those gorgeous strapless dresses that Audrey Hepburn used to wear?  Or gowns with the low back?  *siiigh* I just think they are STUNNING)... I could go on but I think you get my point.  Dressing modestly isn't always something that I enjoy.  It's not my first choice.  

It's a choice Heavenly Father has asked me to make, so I'm going to make it and show him I'm willing to make sacrifices to follow Him. 

It's not a BIG sacrifice.
Dressing modestly isn't very hard.  I'm not giving up my home, food, family, or anything of real value or necessity.  It's an easy guideline to follow.  If I can't even follow Heavenly Father's commandment to dress modestly, how am I going to handle things when he asks me to sacrifice something that is actually important to me?

"If the Savior Stood Beside Me" 
Would I want to be wearing something that showed more of my body off to the world than he has asked me to?

People notice.
I've been very blessed in my life to have several people (most I barely knew) mention to me that they have been impressed by my choice to always dress modestly.  I know that people are watching and see what I choose to wear.  Not everyone will tell you they are watching, but trust me, they are. 

I want to attract a guy that is attracted to modesty.
I know that MOST guys tend to go for the girls with the shorter hemlines, or the girls that choose to rock a bikini and show off their hot body.  That's fine, and that doesn't mean those aren't great guys... they just aren't the guys I want to date.  I've got a high standard that a lot of people think is ridiculous.  I want to date someone who is impressed by my modesty and choice to follow Heavenly Father, rather than the body I'm flaunting and my ability to keep up with the latest trends.   I want to date someone who I know supports me in the choosing to live the high standards the Lord has asked me to, and encourages me to dress modestly... instead of making me feel like I need to show off my body to win his attention.

I have more confidence knowing it's not all about my body.
I'm more comfortable having conversations with people when I know they're focused on what I'm saying, instead of how good I look in a bikini.  I also have the added confidence that comes when I make decisions that I know Heavenly Father is proud of.   On the few occasions I've run to the store in my dance shorts, or worn a shirt that was a lower cut than my usual choice, I've felt self-conscious and embarrassed, hoping no one I knew saw and realized I'd given up my standards to save a few minutes of time or follow the latest trend.

It's a way to show everyone that Heavenly Father is my top priority.
People around me, myself, and my Heavenly Father can see just a little more clearly that He is my priority when I choose to dress modestly.  

He asked me to.
Heavenly Father asked me to, and even if all the other reasons disappeared, this one would be enough.






5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya you will never get married...Ugly giant forhead pimple face. You seriously need to just stop posting about your religion. I am mormon too but you seriously put it over the top. You clearly need to read the bible more thoroughly and then practice. You make it sound like God frowns upon us all, except for you. You dont have to go around preaching. as long as you love god and have accepted him, then he will let you be with him for all of eternity. We are all supposed to enjoy and love this life since there is only one. God doesnt care about the clothes you wear. In the end it is all about your faith and if you have him in your heart then you will be welcomed into his kingdom. So chill the freak out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Ok I'm probably the LAST person to defend Tiana because we don't get along. But why are you telling her to "Chill the Freak out" as if she's pointing her finger right at you and saying that you'll be damned for being immodest when she NEVER said anything of the sort? Seriously? She's not ugly. And even if she is that doesn't mean she'll never get married. I'm told all the time that I look like her because we're sisters and I just got married so obviously your point is invalid. I really shouldn't just attack you in a comment like this, but when you're attacking her for posting her views, after she warned you they were long winded, I can't help but feel like I need to say something. If you don't like what she posts on here then I have a simple solution for you. DON'T READ IT!! There's no one forcing you to read it, so move on with your life and read something you'll enjoy. OK buddy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sis. That comment in my defense means more than you know :) Love you, hope married life is going well!

      Delete