Tuesday, February 28, 2012

crazies and marriage

For those of you who haven't been an LDS, female college student in the state of Utah... let me fill you in on the different categories of girls in this situation we have:


Category 1:  The "must-get-married-ASAP" girl:
Now, within this category there are several different sub-categories...
  • 1A: The "all the good ones are going to be taken!" girl:
               
     This is not Black Friday ladies, they are a not a limited-time-offer, in fact, there are new males being created EVERY SINGLE DAY


  • 1B The "College is for getting married, and if I don't get married, I will have failed" girl:
Just.. no. Singles wards may be for getting married (and learning about the gospel and growing as an individual and all that good stuff... but mostly because they want us all to fall in love with a buddy since they're a pretty key part to the plan of salvation.)  but College is for getting an education, and sometimes you happen to bump into your eternal companion along the way - but that is definitely NOT the purpose of getting your education. 


  • 1C The baby hungry girl:
For some reason... some girls think they have to get started having babies RIGHT NOW, because.. I don't know.. they think they're running low on eggs or something?  I don't quite get this one... Motherly instincts, yes.  Urgent? no.


  • 1D The "This is a competition, and I WILL WIN." girl:


Youngest to get married wins! Right?  Because that clearly means you're the best catch, right?  Wrong, wrong, wrong.




  • 1E The "I can't be happy unless I'm married or in a relationship that I think is going to lead to marraige" girl:
Because pity parties sure make the men show up....not.
The entire thing is fantastic, but my favorite part is the 3rd section he talks about.  "Forget not to be happy now" seriously.  Just be happy.  It's possible, even if you're single, I promise.. I've been doing it for quite a while now and the future's still looking great.


  • 1F The "I'm not getting any younger!"  girl:

If you're a college-age girl, this should definitely not be a reason to start extensive husband-hunting.  21 is not nearing expiration by any means, I promise.


  • 1G  The girl who just really wants to be in love:
You know... those girls who just want to be in love and they don't really care who it's with.  Just obsessed with the concept of love, and being loved.  The girls who pretty much just want to be married so they can say they're married.






Category 2: The "must put marriage off as long as possible!" girl:


  • 2A The "I'm going to be a career woman" girl:

Which is fine in some ways.. but don't dis on stay-at-home moms while you're talking about all your career goals. I plan to properly rant about this in a few blog posts.


  • 2B The "people who get married before they graduate college are idiots" girl:
"may I assure you that there is no shame in a couple having to scrimp and save. It is generally during these challenging times that you will grow closer together as you learn to sacrifice and to make difficult decisions. " - Thomas S. Monson
Would I prefer to get married after college when it will be less stressful? chyeah. Does that mean I'm going to avoid marraige and dating at all costs until I graduate? Nope.  College is great for meeting people, can anyone deny this? thought not.

  • 3B The "I have things to do first" girl

We all know those girls who have a bucket list that would require approximately $1,000,000,000 dollars and 80 straight years of traveling to accomplish... and also believe that a "bucket list" is things that must be done before you get married.  Well have I got news for them... Marriage is actually NOT synonymous with death. So a bucket list can be worked on even after you're married. :)




Basically, most girls my age are either dreading marriage
and thinking everyone who's getting married is insane, or they're husband hunting, and when I say hunting... I mean HUNTING.  It gets a little bit out of control sometimes.


Where do I fall in this mix of confused and struggling girls?  

Stay tuned.  The answer to this question, and more like it...Coming soon to the blog right in front of you, someday when I've got a bit more time to explain my philosophy concerning this love business. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. You are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. With all my heart. And I agree wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete