Monday, August 6, 2012

I have the originality of a plain white t-shirt...

Yesterday as I was perusing facebook I came across this quote in my newsfeed:

"So you've got technique. That means nothing if you lack originality."

This quote is from the newest step up movie and actually got me a little fired up.  I can see the appeal of this quote, but I disagree.   When it comes to dance, I believe the most important thing is passion and heart, not necessarily originality. 

I think that the reason I got so frustrated about it was that this has been my issue with a lot of people's stance on life too, not just dance. 

You see... I'm a borrower.

I don't mean clothes, or tupperware, (although I do borrow those) I'm a borrow of traits and ideas.

If I see someone else doing something I like, I try to incorporate it into my... me.

There are simple things, like fashion, and words, that I follow.   I see someone dress a certain way and I like it, so I try to replicate it.  I hear somone use a quality word, and I start saying it. 

...then there are the bigger things, the more abstract things,

I see someone who's optimistic and I decide to be more positive.

I see someone who always treats others with kindness, and I try to be nicer.

I hear a new perspective that changes my ideas, and I adopt it as my own.

I watch someone do something courageous, and I try to braver.

I see someone make a difference, and I strive to have a greater impact.

I'm not a unique person.  I'm the result of the observations I've made in other people and tried to become myself. 

Some of you might think it sounds like I have low self esteeem because I don't think I'm unique.  That's not true.  I'm an individual, but I'm the sum of many things borrowed, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I may be the most ordinary person on the planet. I honestly don't think that I have one unique thing about me... but I have a lot of heart, and I try to be a good person.  There are a million other people out there who are trying to be good people, and that's okay with me.  I will not be different just for the sake of being different.  I will be the me I want to be, even if I'm not original. 

Why would I try to be completely different when there are so many wonderful examples around me to learn from? 

Aren't we supposed to be striving to be as Christlike as possible anyway?  If we're all trying to be like Him we may be a little more similar, but I think it would still be a pretty amazing world. :)


***As a sidenote:  I promised my coworker I would blog about how great it was that we all chipped in and got Little Caesars today.  Deliciuosly greasy office bonding. Quality stuff.  There ya have it Sam! :)***

3 comments:

  1. I would argue that you are in fact incredibly creative. Borrowing is the root of all creativity. You see something that you like and you take it and make it your own. That's creative. Most people don't borrow. Most people replicate. Replication is boring. Borrowing is wonderful. The best things in life have all come from borrowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said brogan! 10 brownie points toward marriage... if you will just blog again we can secure those ninja/pirate engagement pictures! ;)

      Delete
    2. Working on it now. I can only type on Saturdays, so it's taking a bit to make something that doesn't suck.

      Delete